Published on September 19th, 2014
Global Day of Action 2014
On 27 November 2014, PAX will launch the 2014 edition of the ‘Worldwide Investments in Cluster Munitions: A Shared Responsibilty‘ report.
The report launch will coincide with campaigners from the Cluster Munition Coalition taking part in a global day of action calling on financial institutions worldwide to end all explosive investments in cluster munition producers and encouraging governments to introduce legislation to ban investment in companies that produce cluster munitions.
The PAX report will include the infamous ‘Hall of Shame’ of financial institutions that are investing in cluster munition producers, and also the growing ‘Hall of Fame’ and ‘runners-up’ category of financial institutions that have established (comprehensive) policies to prevent future investment in them. It will also show what action states are taking to prohibit investments in cluster munition producers.
The report will be the fifth update of “Worldwide investments in cluster munitions: a shared responsibility.” It will provide updated information on:
- Financial institutions that are investing in cluster munitions producers
- Financial institutions that have disinvested from cluster munition producers and established clear policies to prevent future investment in them
- Other financial institutions that have taken positive steps towards fully disinvesting from cluster munition producers
- Governments that have passed legislation banning investments in cluster munition producers
- Governments that have issued statements interpreting the Convention on Cluster Munitions to ban investment in cluster munition producers.
Phongsavath Manithong, a cluster munition survivor and a member of the Lao Ban Advocates, asks “Are you funding cluster bombs?” © Handicap International Laos